Amerongen Kamphuis

Kamphuis (left) and Thomassen described about the objectives of the result of the merger, Kamphuis – Van Amerongen: To make a success of the merger, to expand the geographical scope of the activities and to go in search of takeover candidates for own transport.

Kamphuis (left) and Thomassen described about the objectives of the result of the merger, Kamphuis – Van Amerongen: To make a success of the merger, to expand the geographical scope of the activities and to go in search of takeover candidates for own transport.

Amerongen Kamphuis is the result of a merger between Amerongen temperature-controlled transport (established in 1940) and Kamphuis Transport & Expeditie BV. (established in 1950).

Both Barneveld-based companies were in direct competition with one another until 2002, when the members of the boards of management of both joined forces to think about the future. Cooperation was initiated in 2002, when Amerongen started planning all deliveries to Switzerland, while Kamphuis took responsibility for transport operations to Austria. The collaboration proved successful, leading to synergy gains. Because the Municipality of Barneveld had other plans for the site owned by Kamphuis, while new space was created on the v. Amerongen site (following the sale of the car transport division, which relocated to Nijkerk in 2004), the eventual merger between the two companies was a logical step.

In October 2004, Kamphuis Transport & Expeditie BV relocated from the Baron van Nagellstraat 154 to the site of Van Amerongen temperature-controlled transport on the Ambachtsweg 15, and the merger was complete. The spearheads of the merger programme were economies of scale for the future and the optimum search for synergy advantages. After a number of rollercoaster years, the decision was taken to return to the core activity that represented the real strength of both businesses: the temperature-controlled distribution of foodstuffs. The other activities including the transport of hook-lift containers for a parcel service, the transport of animal feed to farms and the transport of components for a truck manufacturer were sold off.

Amerongen Kamphuis timeline

  • Present day

    Over the past few years, we have all been through and survived some tough times. The result is an attractive, financially solid organisation ready to face the future.
  • 2011 - Simon Laan

    In 2011, Amerongen Kamphuis took over the transport activities of Simon Laan from De Goorn. This provided the company with a more solid position in the Southwestern corner of Belgium.
  • 2010 - Rudy van Middendorp

    In 2010, Rudy van Middendorp joined the board of management of the business, as Financial Director.
  • 2009 - Jan Kamphuis / Boudewijn Innemee

    In 2009, Jan Kamphuis was appointed Managing Director. He succeeded Paul Frans Kamphuis who since 2006 had been interim director at the company. At the same time, Boudewijn Innemee became Commercial Director.
  • 2008 - Nurmann Transport

    In 2008, Nurmann Transport was sold to Nout Transport in Putten.
  • 2008 - Workshop activities

    In 2008, workshop activities were transferred to an external party who became responsible for full maintenance of the entire vehicle fleet; the biggest advantage was that maintenance remained on the company’s own site.
  • 2006 - IFT International

    IFT international was taken over in 2006, expanding the field of operations into Scandinavia.
  • 2004 - Oerlemans Foods

    In 2004, Oerlemans Foods’ own transport operations were taken over, to underpin the Benelux network.

Van Amerongen Transport timeline

  • 2002 - Koopman

    In 2002, car transport activities were sold to Koopman in Nijkerk. This final business component relocated from the site on the Ambachtsweg in May 2004. All that remained was the refrigerated and frozen transport, and the real estate property.
  • 1998 - Tank transport sold

    The tank transport division was sold to H&S in Barneveld at the end of the nineteen nineties.
  • 1994 - Boudewijn Innemee

    Having graduated from the University of Amsterdam, Boudewijn Innemee entered service at Van Amerongen as management assistant. He supported the company management with a whole range of activities, focusing on cost price models and commercial affairs.
  • 1994 - Cold storage warehouse expanded

    In 1994, the cold storage warehouse was expanded to include a further 2500 pallet spaces.
  • 1992 - Takeover

    In 1992, Mr Thomassen took over Van Amerongen Transport from Internatio Müller. At the time, the vehicle fleet consisted of approximately 100 trucks for a variety of specialisations, including car transport, tank transport and refrigerated transport.
  • 1991 - Zwamen Transport

    In 1991, Venlo-based Van Zwamen Transport with its 35 vehicles was purchased by Internatio-Müller, to strengthen the German network.
  • 1986 - New cold storage warehouse

    In 1986, the new cold storage warehouse was built, with a capacity of 2000 pallets. The warehouse was mainly intended for the storage of Mc Cain products, while offering space for the transhipment of groupage deliveries.
  • 1980 - Inter Tsjech

    In 1980, Van Amerongen joined the Inter Tsjech association, representing a first step towards tackling the Czech market.
  • 1972 - Relocation

    In 1972, Van Amerongen Transport was one of the first companies to occupy premises on the Ambachtsweg 15 on the new Harselaar industrial esatate.
  • 1965 - 25th anniversary

    In 1965, the company celebrated its silver anniversary, with a fleet of 32 trucks.
  • 1964 - Sold

    In 1964, Van Amerongen Transport was sold to the company that would later become Internatio Müller.
  • 1960 - Relocation

    In the early 1960s, the company relocated to the Nieuwe Markt in the centre of Barneveld, having outgrown its former premises.
  • 1940 - Van Amerongen Transport established

    Van Amerongen Transport was established in 1940. In May 1940, Wim van Amerongen started his business at the Nairacstraat in Barneveld, delivering parcels for Van Gend & Loos, on his delivery bicycle.

Kamphuis Transport timeline

  • 2002 - Hermelink

    In 2002, the transport services of Hermelink in Denekamp, since 1999 part of Cargill, were taken over. At that time, the vehicle fleet totalled 3 trucks.
  • 2000 - Nurmann Transport

    In 2000, Jan jr. acquired Nurmann transport from Kamphuis Transport. With a fleet of 10 truck combinations, this company was responsible for transport operations between depots on behalf of DPD using exchangeable bodies. Since most of this work was carried out at night, it could easily be combined with his daytime activities at the planning department for Kamphuis. Trailer units were subsequently also purchased for frozen and refrigerated transport, and the vehicles could be deployed during daytime.
  • 1999 - Castel Frites

    1998 saw the acquisition of Aviko’s own transport operations with 4 trucks, in Rain am Lech. These vehicles were used to provide distribution services from the new factory, in Southern Germany and Austria. New products were also produced for the Dutch market, and deliveries were made to the cold storage warehouse in the Netherlands, from which deliveries were made to the rest of Germany.
  • 1998 - Aviko

    1998 saw the acquisition of Aviko’s own transport operations with 4 trucks, in Rain am Lech. These vehicles were used to provide distribution services from the new factory, in Southern Germany and Austria. New products were also produced for the Dutch market, and deliveries were made to the cold storage warehouse in the Netherlands, from which deliveries were made to the rest of Germany.
  • 1994 - Jan Kamphuis jr.

    In 1994, Jan Kamphuis jr. officially entered service at Kamphuis Transport en expeditie B.V., as a truck driver. Having grown up surrounded by trucks, over the years he acquired experienced in the workshop, working on and maintaining trucks and working in the cold storage warehouse. In the weekends he washed the vehicles, and having obtained the necessary driving licence, he could barely wait to get behind the wheel. He started working in the office in 1996, where he was responsible for order entry, export planning, returned goods planning and the commercial field and office department.
  • 1992 - Takeover of Vermeulen transport

    The Houten-based Vermeulen transport with 16 truck combinations was taken over in 1992. Following the takeover, the company’s fleet amounted to approx. 50 combinations.
  • 1986 - New cold storage warehouse

    The new cold storage warehouse, with space for 3500 pallets was opened in 1986, mainly to speed up and facilitate the transhipment of groupage deliveries. There was of course also sufficient space to store goods for export customers. At the time, the majority of storage space was taken up by Aviko potato products.
  • 1985 - Paul Kamphuis

    In 1985, Paul Kamphuis succeeded his father as director. At the time, the company operated 15 trucks.
  • 1960 - 10 years

    In 1960, the company celebrated its 10th anniversary, with a fleet of 5 rigid trucks.
  • Distribution

    Transport operations were initially restricted to the Netherlands and Germany, but later expanded into Austria. At the time a trip to Vienna took a whole week. Two drivers would leave on Sunday, and only returned in the following weekend. Furthermore in this period, return deliveries were rare.
    Several years later, the first rigids were purchased and in addition to eggs, Kamphuis started with the distribution of fresh chickens for the chicken slaughterhouse Bekebrede in Barneveld. Here, too, the leading question was: what came first, the chicken or the egg? From that moment onwards, a start was made on combined deliveries.
  • Evadag

    In this period, the company transported eggs for the Barneveld-based business Evadag.
  • Baron van Nagellstraat

    By this time, the company was already based at the Baron van Nagellstraat in Barneveld.
  • 1950 - start of Kamphuis Transport

    On 15 January 1950, Jan Kamphuis purchased 3 covered trucks from Monshouwer Transport, representing the birth of the company.